Things You Can Do To Make Your Home Show-Ready
- Evaluate the furniture in each room and remove anything that interrupts the flow, makes the room appear smaller, or confuses the purpose of the room.
- De-clutter, de-clutter, de-clutter. This is the biggest photo killer - seriously.
- Clean and organize cabinets, closets, pantries, and bookshelves, and remove excessive contents. Buyers will open cabinet and closet doors to look inside.
- Clean all light fixtures, ceiling fans, and return vents. These are often neglected.
- Replace non-working light bulbs. You want your rooms to be light and bright.
- Have your carpets cleaned. If they are excessively worn or stained, you should consider replacing them with new flooring.
- Repair all plumbing leaks, including faucets and drain traps. Fix or replace discolored grout, and replace any broken tiles.
- Make minor repairs (torn screens, sticking doors, cracked caulking).
- Clean or paint walls and ceilings. Clean baseboards.
- Replace worn cabinets, door knobs, and outdated or worn counter tops.
- Scrub the kitchen and all bathrooms. Dirt isn't so visible in photos, but it certainly is in real life.
- Buy new bedding for bedrooms, if needed.
- Replace old lamps or worn lampshades.
- Buy new towels for bathrooms.
- Keep the grass cut and remove all yard clutter.
- Weed flower beds and apply fresh mulch.
- Apply fresh paint or stain to wooden fences.
- Tighten and clean all door handles.
- Clean windows inside and out.
- Powerwash home’s exterior, deck, and driveway.
- Ensure all gutters and downspouts are firmly attached and functioning.
- Paint the front door. A pretty wreath gives it some interest.
- Buy a new welcome mat.
- Place potted flowers near the front door. A pop of color does wonders for your primary photo.
Things To Do Before A Showing
- Turn on all the lights.
- Open all drapes and shutters in the daytime.
- Keep pets crated or, better yet, take them with you.
- Play quiet background music.
- Infuse your home with a comforting scent, such as apple spice or vanilla. Here's a great all-natural recipe:
In the morning, fill a crockpot 3/4 full with water, add lemon slices, a sprig of rosemary, and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Turn the crockpot on the lowest setting & keep the lid off. Check the water level periodically, & turn crockpot off before water level gets very low.
- Set the dining room table with placemats, dinner plates, & coordinating cloth napkins in rings.
- Vacate the property while it is being shown.